Beauty|Fashion, Household, Lifestyle

Closet Organization Hacks

Do you find thatย closetย organization to be a long and tiring process? What about keeping it organized? Most people want their closets to display their clothing, shoes, and accessories in a way that is organized. It is even better to have a boutique-feel to it. It’s actually really easy to do. I’ll show you how.

Closet Organization Hack #1: Sort by Type & Color

Sorting is one of the most important things when it comes to closet organization. One of the strategies that a lot of retail boutiques and stores use is sorting the clothing and products. The same things go for organizing your closet.ย As a result, the closet looks cleaner, neater, and even more spacious. You do not have to have a closet full of clothing, but it pays to organize what little or great amount of stuff that you have.

If you have dressers or other organizational tools, then organize those things as well. Everything can be made to look neat and boutique-like when you sort and organize appropriately. A lot of stores carry the drawer cubes to keep things sorted and neat.

Additionally, stores color code their items. They typically use the ROYGBIV color system. The order that my clothes are in follows the same system, except it is a little different. My clothes start with white –> beige –> brown –> pink –> red –> orange –> yellow –> green –> blue –> purple –> grey –> black. (Work the prints into the end of the most dominant color.)

Clothes

Organizing clothing is the best part of cleaning my closet. I love to categorize them. It makes it a lot easier to choose what to wear. Here is the gist of how my clothes are sorted by type.

The shirts are sorted in this order: crop tops, tank tops, short sleeves (t-shirts and blouses), long sleeves, sweaters/cardigans, and jackets. The bottom shelf, which ironically hangs my bottoms are in the following orders. First is my shorts, skirts (short then midi), maxi skirts, casual and/or linen pants, then my jeans.

My dresses house the dress rack (it was already built into my closet). My dresses are organized from strapless maxis, tank and short sleeved maxis (I do not currently own any long sleeved Maxis), strapless midi dresses, the rest of my midi dresses, followed by my strapless, tank, short sleeved, and then long sleeved shorter dresses.

It does not matter what order you decide to categorize your clothing. I change how I order my clothes all the time. Furthermore, my closet doubles as my storage room for my books, bags, and trunks. It is important to order my clothes in a way that I can cover what needs to be hidden.

Shoes

Organize shoes in several ways. You may separate the shoes into heels (open toe, closed toe) and flats (sandals, tennis shoes, and casual flats). Personally, I like to separate my shoes this way for the convenience and boutique-feel. They, too, are coordinated and organized by color.

Accessories

Accessories include purses/bags, jewelry, head wear, and any other accessories that you enjoy storing in your closet. Personally, I am not a fan of wearing jewelry, so my jewelry organization is minimal. For others who wear a lot of jewelry, I would suggest buying jewelry organizers from a craft store (they are often on sale) or from stores such as Marshalls, Home Goods, and/or Ross. You might even luck up at some sort of dollar store.

Closet Organzation

Closet Organization Hack #2: Determine the Best Organization Systems

It does not matter if it is a hole in the wall sized closet or a closet that is its own room. No matter the size, make the most of the space. Whatever organizational strategy is being used, work it around the layout of the closet.

For closets on the smaller side, use hanger hacks and/or storage bins. Some hanger hacks can be found on this blog. For the things that you will not be using, place them in the storage bins. There are also under-the-bed storage bins that can be used for shoes and/or accessories/clothing.

As I mentioned earlier, you may check out craft stores or others for shelving and organizers. When I organized my mom’s closet, I put an old bookshelf to use. She has a lot of flats and tennis shoes, so we use the bookshelf to organize her flats.

My suggestion would be to put additional shelves to use. Or, if you want to hide the shoes or accessories, then you can get the shelving with the storage squares. Those work best for the organization and a nice presentation.ย Clothing could be folded and displayed nicely on the shelving as well. Personally, I prefer shelving over storage bins. Use whatever method works best for you.

Keep in mind, some methods may not work for everyone. That’s okay! Sometimes finding the best method requires trial and error. Working retail has allowed me to experiment with what methods I like best. Pinterest is, also, a great help to determine the best organization systems. Ultimately, this one is all your decision. I won’t dwell on it because it is self-explanatory.

Closet Organization Hack #3: Clean It Out Yearly (at minimum)

Typically, I try to clean out my closet at least twice a year. Sometimes I even clean it out after every season. Some things that I buy, I buy with the purpose of only wearing once. For those clothes, I clean them out and make room for new clothes. As far as my shoes… I don’t clean them out as often because it is too hard to part with them. Shoes should only be thrown out when they are extremely dated or when they are too worn. (Well… that goes for my heels. I tend to clean out my flats more often.

Again, clean as often as you prefer. It’s your closet, but at some point, you will need to let some things go. Don’t find yourself being that person that keeps things for 20 years believing that it will come back in style. Let it go!

With that being said, I hope that you have found these hacks useful! How do you keep your closet organized? Let me know in the comments below.

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like...

41 Comments

• Reply Catrina

Omg I needed this so bad. My closet is in a constant state of chaos. Thanks so much for this!

August 14, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

No problem! My closet tends to get chaotic every now and then (I tend to binge shop every season), and I get lazy. However, I found a system that works for me and you will too! Glad I could help ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM
  • Reply Heather

Great tips! My closet really needs help right now. Thanks for the inspiration!

August 14, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Not a problem! I was inspired by the craziness of my closet. It drives me crazy, so I had to find strategies that help me keep the chaos to a minimum. Best of luck with your closet ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM
  • Reply andrea

Since I have such a small closet, I can just manage to organize by type

August 14, 2017 at 3:06 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

That works! I, also, found it helpful to use the plastic top hangers than has the little hood for another hanger to connect. It saves some of the horizontal space and allows you to make the clothes vertical. OR you can use the tab from the tops of the soda cans and connect the hangers that way. I’m sure you will find what works best for you. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM
  • Reply Danielle @ A Sprinkle of Joy

Great tips! I organized my clothes in the closet by color a while back, and love it.

August 14, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It’s literally the best thing! I just look through what color I feel like wearing based on my mood. It is easy for me to mix, match, and go. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:23 PM
  • Reply Rachel

OMG I need to do this so badly. I’m TERRIBLE at organizing… seriously ๐Ÿ™

August 14, 2017 at 8:09 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It’s definitely something that you have to be in the mood for. I did it to prevent me from having to do it all over again. I’m all about saving less time searching for clothes and more time laying in bed. But you can do it ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:26 PM
  • Reply Rebecca Hicks

Love love love these hacks! I can’t stand an unorganized closet, and try to clean out old clothes when I switch over from fall/winter clothes to spring/summer and vice versa. It’s key to making sure I don’t hoard on to clothes I never wear, and keeps my closet from exploding haha.

August 14, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

YES! That’s exactly how I clean out my closet. I had to fuss at myself because I found myself hoarding clothes that I will never wear just because they have tags on them. I ended up filling a huge black trash bag full of clothes and shoes. I’m with you, though, I couldn’t function is my closet was not organized. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:27 PM
  • Reply Brittany

I’m pretty good about organizing my clothes but I definitely need to get better at organizing my accessories!

August 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

That’s the hard part about closet organization. Organizing accessories are the worst because they are smaller and it’s more time-consuming. I helped my mom organize her jewelry, and it literally took me a half-day to organize everything (after convincing her to get rid of half of it). I allowed her jewelry racks to inspire me, and now her accessories look like they belong in a Boutique display. You can do it! ๐Ÿ˜‰

August 15, 2017 at 8:33 PM
  • Reply Jordan | Read. Eat. Repeat.

I like to sort my clothes, too. I have a section for dresses, long sleeves, short sleeves, skirts, etc. I also swap out my shoes according to the season. In the spring I pull the sandals toward the front and push boots towards the back, so that the most useful items are easiest to reach.

August 15, 2017 at 4:32 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

That makes perfect sense. My flats are kind of jumbled together because I haven’t felt like organizing them like I should. I do give my boots their own section, but I like the idea of sorting the shoes by seasons. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM
  • Reply Jenna

I need to do this!

August 15, 2017 at 7:56 PM
  • Reply Jenny

I dream of having a closet this lovely some day!

August 15, 2017 at 8:22 PM
  • Reply Lindsey Mozgai

My closet is in desperate need of organization. Thanks for the tips!

August 16, 2017 at 9:16 AM

Not a problem! I hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:52 AM
  • Reply Heather LeGuilloux

I just recently did a cut-throat sort of my closet and dresser and I was left with 6 grocery bags of clothes for donation. It was very liberating, plus I freed up space for new clothes! Win-Win. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 16, 2017 at 11:22 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

YES! It always feels great to free some space for the new things. I tend to clear my closet when I am going through a binge shopping phase. Glad to know there are others like me lol ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:53 AM
  • Reply Susannah

These are fantastic tips! I’m pretty particular about the way my closet and my sons’ closets look. I’ve tried to organize my hubby’s closet too but I’ve learned that it’s not worth it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

August 16, 2017 at 11:26 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

LOL you definitely have to pick and choose your battles. Hope this was helpful ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:54 AM
  • Reply Ngumabi

I love practical tips like this
    I find it hard to organize my closet and these tips will help my struggle with that
    Thanks!

August 16, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thanks! I’m glad they can help. Once you get past the serious organizing the first time, it becomes easier to maintain. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:55 AM
  • Reply Lane & Holly @ With Two Spoons

Great reminder it’s time to clean out my closet!

August 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM

LOL glad that I could be of assistance. Hope these tips helped ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:55 AM
  • Reply Jen

I worked at Old Navy for a spell and have been a little OCD about hanging up my tops and dresses in rainbow-esque order. It makes picking up my clothes so much easier. If I’m feeling “springy” that day I can head straight to my yellows. Love it! The yearly cleansing/dejunking is a habit I just started and it’s been making a difference in defining my style and making sure I actually wear what I have.

August 16, 2017 at 4:16 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Absolutely! Retail has changed my closet outlook. I worked retail off-and-on for four years (a few years ago) and my closet has been particularly organized ever since. You’re right that it makes it easier to pick what to wear. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:56 AM
  • Reply Sara

I definitely needed this! My closet is a disaster zone ๐Ÿ˜…. Thank you so much for the tips and inspiration!

August 16, 2017 at 5:44 PM

Uh oh! lol Not a problem! I hope they help. ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:57 AM
  • Reply Steph Croft

This is so helpful. We are building a new house so having this tips when we design our closet will be priceless!

August 16, 2017 at 10:10 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Congrats! What an exciting time. Once you organize it the first time, it makes everything easier going forward. Best of luck ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 6:58 AM
  • Reply Gayathri

I keep moving every once in a while, so I don’t let my closet chaos catch up. And also I love cleaning the closet, it helps me relax. I know it sounds weird.

Gayathri @ Musings Over Nothing

August 17, 2017 at 2:35 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It doesn’t sound weird at all! It’s the same for me. There’s nothing better than organizing my closet than standing in and appreciating my work. Sometimes I actually sit in my closet, especially when I’m hiding from my niece lol.

August 17, 2017 at 7:00 AM
  • Reply Jennifer Dawn

I recently did a bid of a closet decluttering … How I would LOVE to have a closet the size of a bedroom!

August 17, 2017 at 5:15 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

YES! Wouldn’t we all! My closet is a pretty big walk in, but I always feel like there is never enough space (or hangers) for my stuff.

August 17, 2017 at 6:59 AM
  • Reply Tara

i do this with my own closet – my OCD doesn’t let me have a messy closet. these are fantastic tips!

August 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM
  • Reply Jen E.

wow1 this is a pretty detailed organization list for a closet space. I had no idea (probably why mine needs some help) I’m always in a craft store, next time I’m heading over to check out what they have for organization (and catch a sale if I’m lucky)

August 17, 2017 at 12:30 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Yes, and they always have some kinds of coupons, too (just in case it’s not on sale). I get a little OCD about my closet, and this system has helped me keep it clean and organized. Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

August 17, 2017 at 2:23 PM