Lifestyle, Travel

Overcome Any Solo Travel Fear!

Why do we pass up great vacation deals? Why do we turn down some of the destinations that we have been dreaming of? Often times it is because we have a (or many) solo travel fear(s). Fear is the one thing that inhibits growth and making new memories.

Do not allow fear to suppress the motivation to venture beyond the comfort of your home. Let this post be the encouragement that you need. Overcome any solo travel fear that you may have. (Moana and Maui will navigate this post.)

YES! I could not pass up an opportunity to add Moana in the mix. If I were a Disney princess, I would definitely be her. The line where the sky meets the sea definitely calls me.

Solo Travel Fear of Being Alone

This sounds pretty redundant, but it is a common fear. So often people find themselves having trouble being, or going, somewhere alone. Thankfully, I have learned not to be one of those people. The thought of traveling alone is no longer a hindrance. I embrace the idea. Sometimes people need time to themselves and to decompress.

(I’m an introvert, so I like to recharge in seclusion. After being around a lot of people, or people for an extended amount of time, I have to spend at least a fraction of the time that follows in isolation.)

Traveling solo does not have to mean that you are alone. It could mean traveling with a new group, or tour company. On the trip, you may make new friends. Consider the concept of being single. Being alone does not make you lonely. There are still people around to spend your time with, right? It’s the same with solo travel.

Personally, I have no problem traveling alone, though there are countries that I am not willing to venture alone because I am a young AND I am a woman. (Plus, I am not the world’s strongest or biggest woman.) If I allowed myself to fear being alone, then I would rarely do anything or go anywhere. In fact, this post is to encourage you to overcome any fear that you may have when it comes to traveling alone.

Don’t allow your fear to overcome your sense of adventure.

Solo Travel Fear of the Unknown

Out of all of the fears, this may be the one that I struggle with the most. Whether I am traveling alone, meeting someone there, or going with someone else, there is always a sense of nervousness because of the unknown. When you have never been somewhere, it can be easy to fear being unprepared or doing something wrong. Some people hate surprises… I am one of them. However, there is a solution for this.

Before going anywhere, but especially a place that you have never been before, do research on it. Learn about the culture, the dynamics between genders, the dress, etc. Look into the crime rates and who they target. Learn as much as you can about the place. Even consider looking into the weather. (It does not matter what time of the year it is, I will always check the weather before I pack.)

While it may be safe for women or solo travelers to walk around freely during the day, in most places, it should be a given not to be alone anywhere at night. Should you find yourself wanting to do something at night, never go alone and try not to walk. Crimes, in any place, are easy to occur at night because of the dark.

Here are a couple of simple rules. One, never go out after the sun goes down alone. Two, if I do, make sure you’re with at least two other people. Three, make sure your phone is fully charged and ready to go should you need to use it. Either way, you cannot let what you don’t know stop you. There is too much easy access to the Internet to travel anywhere clueless. Many websites and blogs are dedicated to solo travel, especially for women. Use them! Pack your bags! And have the time of your life.

Solo Travel Fear of Danger

With any new place, there is a concern for safety for a solo traveler. There are ways to work with, and around, this fear. As I mentioned earlier, it is so important to look into destinations before traveling there. Now let’s be clear, things can happen to you right outside of your door. Nowhere is one hundred percent assuredly safe. With that being said, fear of danger should not dictate your travel.

When looking into destinations that suits solo travelers, find places that make you comfortable with the idea of traveling alone. Sometimes major cities can be the best, or the worst, places for you. I am obsessed with the Caribbean, but I realize some of the risks of being a solo woman traveler in some areas.

On the other hand, I understand the risk of being a solo woman when I walk around some areas in my town alone. When I lived in Atlanta, I often walked around downtown alone. Why? Because I would not allow fear to dictate my life. That’s not to be arrogant. It is simply to say that if we allowed fear of danger to overcome our thoughts, no one would be safe anywhere. Plus, I am a woman of faith. That faith gives me a great sense of comfort anywhere that I go.

Solo Travel Fear of Actually Having a Good Time

This sounds absolutely ridiculous, doesn’t it? Believe it or not, it can be a reason that someone decides not to go on a solo trip. Perhaps it’s because they might be leaving someone/something behind for their own enjoyment. Taking a trip and having a good time may be perceived as being selfish. Regardless, it is not a reason to stand in your own way.

I shared with my friend that I am learning how to do things for me. Unlike countless others, I am single with no children. A lot of parents or spouses feel bad to do things for themselves. I’m here to let you know that it is okay sometimes. A little time to yourself gives you time to regroup and come back better than ever. Even if it is just for a day away. Never feel guilty for doing things for yourself. If you don’t, who will? Once you take your trip… I’ll be here with a great…

What is your greatest solo travel fear? Share them in the comments below. I love to hear feedback, perspectives, and even ways to help others overcome their fears. When you finish, if you have not already, you should check out ways to save on your solo vacation.

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like...

47 Comments

• Reply Dawn @ Our Food Fix

This is really inspiring. I have always been curious about traveling solo, and now I really want to!

November 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Same! I am planning to take a trip every month of 2018, and most of them will be solo. I’ve had to learn to get over my fears and now I’m ready to have the time of my life.

November 7, 2017 at 7:50 PM
  • Reply Susannah

I don’t love traveling by myself but I totally see why people would enjoy it!

November 7, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

A lot of people would hate to travel alone, and that’s okay. To each their own! 🙂

November 7, 2017 at 7:50 PM
  • Reply nicole

I think the fear of danger is what keeps me from traveling solo! Plus, I like bringing my husband lol!

November 7, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

That’s where we’re different LOL I’m not married, so it’s easy for me to book a quick flight and go without having to answer to anyone. I can’t say for sure, but I think I would still desire a solo trip, even if for a day after I get married. (This is clearly a single girl’s response. I know lol I’m ignorant when it comes to being married because I’ve never been married.)

November 7, 2017 at 7:52 PM
  • Reply Jenny

I’ve actually never traveled alone but I’m definitely interested in giving it a whirl. It sounds very exciting.

November 7, 2017 at 7:19 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I’m an adrenaline junky kind of girl. I love the feeling of an adrenaline rush, like when I ride roller coasters. Traveling alone, and the thought of traveling alone feels like riding that rollercoaster. It’s a new, unexpected, and thrilling adventure. 2018 will be the year of my solo travel!

November 7, 2017 at 7:54 PM
  • Reply Erica @ Coming up Roses

I lovelovelove traveling with my hubby and my friends, but I’ve read so many great things about traveling solo!

November 7, 2017 at 11:20 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I love going on group trips, but there’s something about unplugging and relaxing on my own that appeals to me. Perhaps it’s because of my introversion. Either way, I am excited to overcome my fears and travel outside of my comfort zone.

November 8, 2017 at 7:52 PM
  • Reply Melissa Pillone

Great post! I have never travelled solo but I want to try it

November 8, 2017 at 6:01 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I have taken several plane rides alone. I’ve even managed to fly and get around NYC alone, but I have never taken a full vacation alone. I am definitely looking forward to getting away and unplugging.

November 8, 2017 at 7:53 PM
  • Reply Kirsten @ObtainingBliss.com

Just a few months I traveled alone to Portland. It was for a blogging conference but I also made sure I made time to do some exploring on my own. I am so very glad I did. The best part about traveling and sightseeing on your own. You don’t have to wait for anyone else to “finish looking” and you can go at your own pace. It’s really wonderful! Plus I didn’t have to do anything I didn’t want to do. 🙂

November 8, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Exactly! That’s the appeal for me. Everything is on my time. I consider it to be solo travel even when I meet someone. The key, however, is that I schedule alone time for me in all of my vacations. For my birthday, I flew alone to Atlanta. I ended up staying with a friend, but she worked during the day, and I took advantage of exploring and being on my own. It’s so worth it. I’m glad you enjoyed!

November 8, 2017 at 7:55 PM
  • Reply Cassie |White Sands and Cool Breezes

I think my biggest solo travel fear is not knowing the language I might be visiting. But using translation books, guides or apps really helps.

November 8, 2017 at 10:39 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I would never have considered the language barriers. Outside of asking for directions, which I would probably not do, I would expect that the main places that I would interact with would have someone who understands English. It’s pretty much the universal language. I do agree that books, guides, and apps are definitely helpful.

November 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM
  • Reply Jen

I love to travel but haven’t had the courage for solo traveling. This was such a great read and I’m hoping I’ll be able to do this for myself soon!

November 8, 2017 at 11:47 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It’s so worth it. I’ve never taken a full vacation completely alone, but I am looking forward to it in 2018. I wish you the best of luck! You can do it. 🙂

November 8, 2017 at 7:57 PM
  • Reply Lori | Choosing Wisdom

I love to travel solo! Usually, it is day trips while my husband is on business – but I love going out with my google maps and exploring new cities! I love the idea of a total vacation alone!

November 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

There’s nothing more exciting than discovering new places and things. It’s worth it, to me, to get away alone and regroup. I love that you take the day trips. Even those are pretty amazing!

November 8, 2017 at 7:58 PM
  • Reply Shannon

Love this post, I travel solo a lot. This post made me feel more comfortable.

November 8, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I’m glad to be helpful! 🙂

November 8, 2017 at 7:59 PM
  • Reply Nisi

I used to have all those fears you mentioned! Now, I have learned to love solo travel. I always use the safety recommendations above, especially about going out after dark. Once the fears were conquered – done just by doing things I feared – the rest is easy and fun. Safe too if common sense is used. Great read!

November 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Absolutely! I think Common Sense is the most important thing to take with you when you’re traveling (whether solo or not). Thanks so much for the comment 🙂

November 8, 2017 at 8:01 PM
  • Reply Kendra

With 3 kids, I think I would LOVE a solo vacation! But knowing me I would miss everyone before I even pulled out the driveway.

November 8, 2017 at 7:10 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I understand. I don’t have children, but I often nanny for my cousins, and I have my one-year-old niece every weekend. (We’ve kept her every weekend since she was pretty much one month, so I feel like she’s mine lol). Sometimes I feel bad for leaving them behind, but I know that I am a better auntie and cousin when I take time to do things for me. You’re a Mommie, so you have a way different experience than me. It’s a Mommy thing to have guilt and to miss their children like crazy, and it’s understandable.

November 8, 2017 at 8:01 PM
  • Reply Falasha

Great tips, love the movie gifs.
    xoxo Falasha
    Bite My Fashion
    Instagram| Bloglovin’| Facebook

November 9, 2017 at 5:09 AM

Thanks! 🙂

November 10, 2017 at 6:18 PM
  • Reply Krystall

Great points, and definitely fears that I have at the idea of traveling solo.

I too am an introvert, and have really intense anxiety. But I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that I could miss out on some amazing adventures just because of my discomfort in going alone. I think my biggest fear is messing up in some way, like getting lost. Sometimes I feel like my brain shorts out when I’m alone in stressful situations! And yes, being lonely is one as well. Even with a group it is so difficult for me to break out of my shell, so I’m scared to be around people I don’t know. I’ve started small, I recently joined a hiking group so that I could get used to going on short trips with people strangers. Then there was a large concert that I just couldn’t live with missing, but nobody could go with so I went alone. And I survived, though I was certain I wouldn’t! I’m trying to work up to an actual travel adventure, and hope to get there soon!

November 9, 2017 at 1:37 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Yeah, introversion has more to it than what meets the eye. I’m pretty outgoing, so I have no problem being around new people and making new friends. To regroup, however, I need to be in seclusion. Being around people is draining, and no one understands what I mean unless they’re introverted like me. I think that it’s wonderful that you are easing into it. It’s admirable. I know you’ll get there one day. 🙂

November 10, 2017 at 6:22 PM
  • Reply Jennifer

I miss traveling alone!

November 10, 2017 at 1:43 PM
  • Reply Anna

I only traveled solo once and it wasn’t very far but it was a bus trip from Poland to UK and it took really long… But it was a great journey and the 2-month stay in London absolutely changed my life so I have great memories and absolutely agree with you. It’s a great adventure!

November 10, 2017 at 2:16 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Absolutely! Even something small is an adventure within itself. I just think that it’s important to take some time and adventure for yourself.

November 10, 2017 at 6:23 PM
  • Reply Chelsea

Even when I travel with my bf, I always get myself all worked up reading horror stories of things that have happened to travelers before I leave… then I get there and have the best time!

November 10, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Exactly! That’s how I feel before I go anywhere new. I’ll be going to Washington D.C. next week, and though I haven’t heard many negative things, I have been warned about a certain area of town that could be dangerous. There’s something to worry about everywhere, we just can’t let it stop our adventures.

November 10, 2017 at 6:25 PM
  • Reply Christine

I’m lucky that I have my husband who is always my traveling partner. This is some good advice for solo traveler’s though. You should always be aware when you are traveling, but even more so when you go solo.

November 11, 2017 at 8:01 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Absolutely! Thank you so much!

November 11, 2017 at 12:03 PM
  • Reply Julie I Aloha Lovely

I haven’t traveled solo in a long time but used to love it! Great tips here for someone who is unsure.

November 11, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you so much! I have flown on several occasions alone, and have even explored cities alone on my own. There’s nothing like a trip for me, myself, and I.

November 11, 2017 at 7:15 PM
  • Reply Kate (@thegoldsister)

I have a similar post to this I made right before I went to Paris solo!! I think the biggest thing a solo traveler do is just make sure they’re prepared! These are great tips. :))

Kate

November 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I completely agree. Being prepared makes things a lot less complicated. 🙂

November 15, 2017 at 6:47 AM
  • Reply Linda Kurniadi

You can learn a lot from solo travelling, that’s one of my fear to do. Glad that you had fun!

November 14, 2017 at 12:26 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

You most definitely can, and it allows you to learn more about yourself. Thanks! 🙂

November 15, 2017 at 6:48 AM
  • Reply Celena

This really answered my problem, thank you!

November 15, 2017 at 2:10 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thanks! I’m glad to help in any way that I can.

November 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM
  • Reply Dee Jackson

I do find myself concerned about solo travel alot but I have decided to just go ahead and break through those insecurities and go for it.

November 19, 2017 at 6:53 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

As you should. There’s no way to get the experience until you decide to do it. It took me a while to get comfortable with going places on my own, but I no longer allow others to dictate where I want to go.

November 20, 2017 at 3:32 PM