Household, Lifestyle, Travel

Gift of Travel: The Gift That Keeps Giving

What are the most desired things from the millennial generation? The gift of travel. A lot of us love going to new places, making new friends and memories, and buying priceless experiences. This post is to serve as a guide of what to get for this travel-enthused generation.

Please note that some of the links below are affiliate links, and at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you decide to make a purchase after clicking on the link(s). Understand that I have experienced this company, and I recommend them because they are helpful and useful, not because of the small commissions I make if you decide to buy something through my links. Please do not spend any money on these products unless you feel you need them or that they will help you achieve your goals.

The Gift of Travel: A Surprise/Planned Vacation

Surprise! (Personally, I hate (and kind of love) surprises.) Planning a surprise vacation for someone is one of the most thoughtful things to do. Why? It takes a lot of effort, energy, and time to plan a surprise trip. Therefore, it means a lot more to be gifted a surprise vacation. Even if the vacation is not a surprise, going on a planned vacation is just as exciting. My aunt gifted my cousin and me a trip to Disney World (Orlando, Florida) for a week. Although I knew about it, I didn’t have any less fun. It was one of my favorite vacations that I’ve ever been on.

It can get stressful planning a trip. I would definitely advise confirming the appropriate dates or getting travel insurance when gifting a complete trip. It can get tricky figuring out the best time to book a vacation for someone else. Use your best judgment, find out more about their schedule, and go from there.

The Gift of Travel: Travel Essentials

What’s a good trip without the necessary essentials? If someone went through my Google drive, they would find at least ten different packing lists or lists of travel essentials. Why? First, it provides order for when someone is packing. Second, it is harder to forget something behind with a list. Third, it helps to keep up with the latest and greatest travel essentials.

If you are unsure what I mean by travel essentials, let me break it down for you. Travel essentials are things like a toothbrush, toothpaste, socks, underwear, deodorant, etc. These are the nonnegotiables for every trip. If you find yourself going on a solo trip, a necessary travel essential is the Octopus Portable and Adjustable Stand with Remote, which is great for taking those wonderful shots. (You do not have to limit yourself to selfies.)

In addition, another very important travel essential is a great bag. Personally, I prefer to only use carry-on sized bags such as this and this. If you prefer, however, to use bigger luggage, or would want more bang for your buck, check out these luggage sets: smooth, hard, and glossy, standard and affordable, or even fashionable and unique. By no means are travel essentials limited to what is listed. Pinterest is a wonderful resource to get a packing list best suited for you. Happy packing!

The Gift of Travel: Bits and Pieces

If you happen to have life responsibilities outside of gifts, then this section might appeal to you. Giving the gift of travel means several things to several people. You may not have the ability to gift an entire vacation. On the other hand, you may very well be capable, but are unsure of the timing.

Nevertheless, there is a way to gift the bits and pieces of travel. That simply means gifting airline tickets, or hotel costs, or travel essentials, or whatever it may be. It can be a relief to worry about one less thing when planning a vacation. Gifting someone a hotel room, even for a staycation, is appreciated. Airline ticket prices are the most unpredictable thing. Buying someone tickets are nothing short of amazing. It saves them the hassle of price checking, or even last minute price increases.

Perhaps they are traveling for an extended period and will need to check their bags. Checking bags through the airlines can get pricey. If you fly airlines like Spirit and Frontier, where you have to pay for everything including the oxygen you breathe, you will have to pay to bring anything other than a backpack/purse. You can even consider paying the costs for them to check/bring their bags. It is easy to spend $70 checking ONE bag both ways. I can’t speak for others, but I am pretty low maintenance. I would love, love, love if someone paid for me to check my bags. (This is an example. Honestly, I would prefer not to check a bag.)

What’s the Big Deal?

It is an established fact that more and more millennials are valuing traveling. However, let’s not ignore the other generations. It is becoming more common to book travel deals and vacations. People are valuing the experiences of visiting new places or even getting rest from their typical environment. Should you need additional tips for saving on vacations you can check out: The Vacation Savings Guide. Also, if you find this post helpful please share it.

What are some of the things that you consider when it comes to the gift of travel? Would you want to go to a specific destination? Would you want to plan it and someone else pay for it? Or would you want them to surprise you with a vacation? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks!

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like...

61 Comments

• Reply Julia

Great advice. I love traveling so for me any travel related gifts are awesome especially things I don’t like splurging on myself like cameras to capture the best moments. Thanks.

November 21, 2017 at 2:13 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you! Funny you say that a camera was put on my graduation wishlist. However, it’s not that I wouldn’t mind getting it for myself, it’s just that I prioritize other things over it. I completely understand where you’re coming from.

November 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM
  • Reply Samantha Gerrard

An awesome blog and these are indeed the gifts of travel. I have recommended this page to my sister who loves to travel. Loved it!

November 21, 2017 at 2:54 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you so much! I hope she enjoys, as well. 🙂

November 22, 2017 at 6:28 AM
  • Reply leslie

Surprise trips are the BEST!!!

November 21, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I could not agree more! 🙂

November 22, 2017 at 6:29 AM
  • Reply Jen

I would love a surprise vacation! There are so many places here in the US that I would be happy to visit!

November 21, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Same! While I enjoy the thought of venturing outside of the country, there is still a lot that I want to see here, too. I plan to do both! 🙂

November 22, 2017 at 6:29 AM
  • Reply Nita

I would love a surprise holiday, but unfortunately with a young family, any travel is kind of a military operation. I love travelling, so I try not to let anything get in the way, so we try to make the most of it when it comes to experiencing new adventures and creating memories.

November 21, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I understand. Sometimes traveling even includes having a staycation in your own city. It may be taking a day for yourself, or for you and your partner. It can mean different things, but the best of luck to you! 🙂

November 22, 2017 at 6:30 AM
  • Reply Leigh Suznovich

I love this! I would much rather get opportunities to travel rather than things. Great post!

November 21, 2017 at 4:31 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you! Same here. Things are great, but I love having the memories and pictures of a new place to sustain me.

November 22, 2017 at 6:31 AM
  • Reply Sarah Althouse

I hate planning for traveling and packing so someone surprising me might actually work. And you’re right – it seems more and more people are traveling these days!

November 22, 2017 at 8:16 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Traveling just seems like more bang for your buck. I love it! I never realized until recently that I’ve always asked for the gift of travel for my adult birthdays and Christmas.

November 22, 2017 at 7:21 PM
  • Reply Maryal

This is actually SO genius! I never really considered giving a part of a travel experience to someone, or how valuable that would really be to my friends and family. They’d absolutely love it and it’s so creative and unexpected!

– Maryal

November 22, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you! It comes from my own experience(s). It really helps when someone helps with the aspects of the trip. I have been able to enjoy several vacations through the gifts of others. The vacation doesn’t feel any less fun.

November 22, 2017 at 9:10 PM
  • Reply Emily Anne

What a great post!! Traveling is so much fun! Especially a surprise vacation!

November 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Agreed! There’s nothing better than a surprise that is already planned out.

November 22, 2017 at 7:22 PM
  • Reply Kate

Completely agree with your emphasis on travel. I value any trip, whether it is a surprise or one planned for months, over most things. And a travel gift just gets you excited to go!

November 22, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you! Vacations are just amazing. I truly value the experiences and memories picked up on my trips. I still recall childhood vacations that stick with me. Materials come and go, but memories are truly forever.

November 22, 2017 at 9:11 PM
  • Reply Lauren

I’ll take a surprise vacation! Let my hubby know 😉

Lauren

November 22, 2017 at 8:44 PM
  • Reply Cate

The gift of travel is welcome around here!! I love traveling and wish I could do more.

November 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Same here! It’s all I ever ask for from anyone anymore. They’re okay with that, and I’m okay with that.

November 25, 2017 at 4:44 AM
  • Reply Nicole Banuelos

Yesss I love to travel and am always up for a surprise trip!

November 24, 2017 at 9:28 AM
  • Reply Emily Fata

This is such a great article, and it rings so true! I loved going on vacations with my parents as a child (even though 99% of them were road trips, and not leaving the country, or even the province)! It instilled a wanderlust in me that I’ve never been able to shake — now I’m planning 3+ trips a year across the globe and can’t stop myself! Haha 🙂

November 24, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

That sounds amazing, a small start can lead to a great finish. Now you’re a world traveler all from the gift of travel that your parents provided. I love it!

November 25, 2017 at 4:47 AM
  • Reply Jolene

I’d love a surprise trip as a gift! Gotta drop some hints at my husband!

November 24, 2017 at 9:29 PM
  • Reply Sara Russell

I think travel is a wonderful gift. My husband and I are planning to skip material gift-giving in our family and plan a family trip instead. Memories and experiences are treasures forever!

November 25, 2017 at 4:47 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It’s more meaningful to build memories with the ones you love. A family trip will sound wonderful, and I’m sure you all will have an amazing time.

November 25, 2017 at 8:11 AM
  • Reply Roger

Traveling is definitely a gift gift I try to give myself as often as possible what a great article I truly enjoyed reading it

November 25, 2017 at 5:14 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Same here! I think it’s an important gift. Thanks so much!

November 25, 2017 at 8:11 AM
  • Reply Hilda Sterner

Enjoyed reading your article. Great advice, I mean who doesn’t enjoy a little travel? I did a lot of travel when I was younger, I was in the Navy. My husband will be retiring in a few years, so I plan on picking up where I left off!

November 25, 2017 at 7:05 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you! I don’t know too many people who don’t enjoy traveling. I’m on a plane any chance I can get. I’m sure that will be nothing short of amazing.

November 25, 2017 at 8:12 AM
  • Reply Julie I Aloha Lovely

Would love a gift of travel. The experience is the gift and has so much more meaning than a physical good.

November 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM
  • Reply Flossie McCowald | SuperMomHacks

Honestly, when it comes to travel, I totally agree with what you’ve written here! (and I’m a Gen Xer, and my kids are too young to be Millennials lol). When it comes to gifting travel, besides scrimping to cover the plane tix needed for a family of 4 to fly, I often give travel-related gifts to my family, especially my girls – new bathing suits next-size-up at Christmas for a winter family vacation, travel toys and amusements, new books for their next flight or road trip (they love to read!), etc.

November 25, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I’m a reader, so I love hearing from/about other readers. I think you are an amazing gift-giver, and that’s exactly what I want to share with my audiences. Tickets and hotels can be a tricky thing, but that’s what makes it fun for me. Searching for the best deals and planning far in advance. Your comment has definitely energized me and made me see that others understand. I love it! Thanks.

November 26, 2017 at 8:10 AM
  • Reply Susannah

I would LOVE a surprise trip!!!

November 25, 2017 at 7:05 PM
  • Reply Vox

Packing for any trip is nerve wracking for me, so I can’t imagine packing for a spontaneous trip….🙄 More power to you and thanks for sharing tips for our next adventure.

November 26, 2017 at 6:11 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Bless your heart. I can’t imagine not wanting to pack for a trip that someone else is paying for.

November 26, 2017 at 8:11 AM
  • Reply Roger

I came back to read this article again 🙂 I really enjoyed it 🙂

November 26, 2017 at 6:30 AM

Aww! Thank you so much. 🙂

November 26, 2017 at 8:10 AM
  • Reply Megan

I have to plan every detail of the vacation myself. I seldom get the chance to travel so when I do I want to make the most of it. I can get away for a full day perhaps two. With my hectic schedule a surprise trip is out of the question. I would not turn down an offer to plan a free trip though. 🙂

November 26, 2017 at 6:34 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Ironically, this makes a lot of sense to me. It’s a control thing, and I’m the same way. That’s why my family will often gift the expenses, but leave me to plan the trip. Or, they will give me a budget, and I’m up for the challenge of meeting it. It’s the thrill of it all. Thanks for your comment. I love seeing different perspectives.

November 26, 2017 at 8:14 AM
  • Reply Dara

I would love to surprise someone with a paid trip; that would be so awesome! Even though I do not travel a lot, i love the idea of it and it is a goal of mine to travel numerous times a year!

November 26, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I’m working on that for my mother and my niece. We’re going to take a trip to Disney World next year, and I’m super excited about it. This year kicked off my wanderlust, and I plan to continue traveling throughout the year next year.

November 27, 2017 at 2:44 PM
  • Reply Alexis

Surprise trips are amazing!! My spouse surprised me one time and brought me to Houston. It was such an amazing trip.

November 26, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I live here in Houston! I love it, and glad it was amazing for you. 🙂

November 27, 2017 at 2:45 PM
  • Reply Jem

The best kind of gift. If someone were to gift me travel, I’d ask them to gift me packing! I hate packing!! Some great ideas for gifting someone travel even if you can’t afford the tickets

November 26, 2017 at 2:29 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

lol You are definitely not the only one who hates packing. It gives me the motivation to pack when I don’t have to pay for travel. Thanks!

November 27, 2017 at 2:46 PM
  • Reply Maria | passion fruit, paws and peonies

I would love a gift of travel so much – but then I’m a blogger so I would feel the need to plan the hell out of it!! x

November 26, 2017 at 3:42 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

True! That’s why I ask for people to buy plane tickets or pay for my hotel, or I plan and they pay. Then again, my loved ones know how I can get. We all hate to relinquish control.

November 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM
  • Reply Twinkle Gaur

This is such a great article along with great tips. Enjoyed reading. I would love “surprise vacation.” Thanks for sharing! 🙂

November 27, 2017 at 12:24 AM

Thank you so much! 🙂

November 27, 2017 at 2:47 PM
  • Reply Elise Cohen Ho

I would enjoy for someone to put together a few ideas and then let me choose. 🙂

November 27, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

It’s an amazing thing. Ironically enough, it happens for me all of the time.

November 27, 2017 at 2:53 PM
  • Reply Cassandra @ Uncommonly Well

I want to live my life prioritizing experiences (especially travel) over material possessions. Love this post!

December 2, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Thank you so much! I just appreciate experiences over material these days. I don’t want it to ever change.

December 2, 2017 at 1:21 PM
  • Reply Cristina

Great post! I’ve done a little gift guide for travel fans too but, you’re right, the best present is another trip away!!

December 3, 2017 at 8:57 AM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

Agreed! Personally, I prefer the elements of the trip itself, such as the flight or the room, but it’s important to have a bag or necessary travel tools. I’ve been exploring travel gift guides and have found some necessary things to order for my upcoming trip.

December 7, 2017 at 7:07 AM
  • Reply Jessica

I love travelling, I wish I could do it more often! My camera is my favorite gadget!

December 3, 2017 at 12:13 PM
    • Reply Amber Lynn

I have finally made up my mind to invest in a camera, they are just super expensive, but are definitely worth the investment.

December 7, 2017 at 7:08 AM